Tuesday 18 August 2015

Crochet Love: Happy Rainbow Stool Cover (With TASSELS!)


Rainbows and Tassels! Could it get any better?

I love rainbow. I love tassels. So when I find a pattern I can adapt that includes both... YAY!! I came across this pattern the other day and simply had to try! Thank You Atty's for the inspiration!

I have had these two boring timber stools in our kitchen since we moved into the house, and I've tried putting cushions on them, and covering them up, but they just get stuff dumped on them and are generally useless because they're uncomfortable and not super good looking!

I loved the colours of the original by Atty's, but the covers had to match our home, which are much brighter. The colours I used were (in order on the pictures below, Left to Right)


Off-White 
Fuschia
Candy Pink
Salmon
Apricot
Sunset Orange
Gold Yellow
Meadow Green
Mint Green
Turquoise
Lilac
Violet

Cornflower Blue
Teal
Light Green
Yellow
Mustard
Tangerine
Red
Hot Pink
Light Pink
Lavender
Indigo

The Woven Stripes




I started by making one stripe. The measurements were 53 chains (50 + 3 to turn) for my stool. Make sure you check yours before you make more than one stripe

1. Chain 50 (or however many you need for your stool width) Chain 3.
2. Turn your project.
3. Make a treble crochet (AU/UK measurement) into the third chain from your hook. Put a treble crochet in each chain (50 for me) until you reach the end! Chain 3.
4. Turn your work.
5, Make a treble crochet in the first stitch, and then every stitch after, until you reach the end. Slip Stitch into the first ch 3.

:Measure how many you will need for the WIDTH of your stool. Repeat the directions for your Width stripe for however many you need.

Measure the LENGTH of your stool (mine was square so I had the same measurements for both) and chain however many you need. Repeat the directions for your Length stripe for however many you need.

My stool was square, so I ended up with 24 stripes - 12 for the Width of the stool, and 12 for the Length.

When you have arranged your colours the way you want them (I was a little OCD and insisted on splitting mine into two sections etc, but it would look fabulous with any combination!) weave them together as in the pictures to see how they look. Swap over any you think need to be moved (eg: any colours that are too similar could be moved further away)

I then single crocheted along each side. Atty's (the original pattern) suggests to single crochet all the WIDTH stripes together (1 short side only) and the same for the length, then weave them together and do the other two sides. You should do what works for you :) I found my work didn't move a lot once I had woven it together.

The Edging




The edging was extremely simple on mine. I used off-white yarn to make 5 rows of treble crochets, with a single chain at each corner in each row.  For a sixth row, I did the same but in double crochets. I didn't increase or decrease crochets, so my cover fit my stool really snugly :)

The Tassels





I LOVE TASSELS!

Cut 6 pieces of the same colour yarn (or you could mix it up for a bit of fun!) and fold in half. Place your crochet hook through the crochet stitch you want to attach the tassel to, from the back to the front. Grasp the bunch of yarn (at the centre fold when it's folded in half) and pull in through the hole, front to back. Pass the two end sections through the loop you have made, and pull it tight. Trim them all to be the same length (I find it handy to use a comparison measure the length you want them so you don't end up with choppy tassels!)

Ta-da! Tassels! :)

Weave in your ends and trim any fly aways.


And there you have it! Your very own Happy Rainbow Stool Cover (With Tassels!)

And again - here's the original link to Atty's pattern.

Happy Hooking!!

Rhonie xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment