Monday 19 October 2015

Know Your Yarn!!

Hi lovely people,

I receive numerous questions regarding the types of yarn I use, and why I use it! A lot of new comers to crochet aren't quite sure about different types of yarn or its uses so I thought I would describe the the types that I regularly use, how we classify yarn, and what each type is used for!

I will start with how we classify yarn: we go by fibre, weight, and colour/dyelot. I'll start with Fibre!

Fibre: the makeup of the yarn skein.

Most yarns are made from wool (sheep/alpaca usually!), plant fibres (cotton/bamboo), or synthetic (acrylic/polyester). Usually a combo of these! Here are some tips: 
- natural fibres are great for clothing (breathe more!) but are easier to misuse (shrinking, pilling, fluff) and are more expensive. These are the better 'quality' yarns - recommended for use in fancy projects!
- Acrylic is durable, and synthetic blends (any yarn with acrylic/polyester fibres mixed in) are generally the most durable and easy to use. Also cheaper :) 

My favourite versions of these are:
-Stylecraft special DK (100% acrylic)
- Patons Cotton Acrylic blend
- Drops 'Paris' (100% Cotton)

Next the classifications of different yarns by weight.

Weight: the thickness and mass of the yarn thread. 

When we discuss 'weight' - we mean not only the physical 'weight' (in grams/ounces), but also the thickness/fluffiness of the yarn. We also discuss 'ply' which refers to how many strands there are in the yarn. Usually it comes in 4, 5, 8, or 12 ply. Sometimes you can find 10ply or 'super chunky' which has heaps!

Firstly, yarn usually comes in two physical weights - 50g skeins (cotton or small amounts of yarn) and 100g (usually larger skeins of acrylic/ wool blends)

There are several different 'thickness' weights to yarn, and you will generally find the weight on the tag of the skein along with what size of hook to use. I love this sweet list of the different weights from Sheep & Stitch.

but I use #3 & #4 the most, as I make a lot of light blankets, dollies, amigurumi, and some occasional clothes :)
Light Worsted Weight Yarn/ DK Yarn 
(DK stands for for 'double knitting' when you knit two yarn strands together to make your project thicker).

DK yarn is smooth, light, and usually uses a size 4mm - 6mm hook depending on your project. It is great to use in blankets, afghans, and light winter woollies :) I even use it for cute decor like coasters and cushion covers! I feel DK yarn is the most versatile of the weights.

This is Stylecraft Special DK 'Bluebell' - which I love and use constantly :)

Worsted Weight Yarn
I rarely use worsted weight but for an extra thick blanket that isn't too heavy it is great. A similar texture and feel to DK but thicker for winter! Aran type yarn is lovely to use. You can see the difference in the thickness between DK & Aran.

This is Stylecraft Special Aran 'Cloud Blue'

The final aspect you need to account for to create a unified work is colour consistency! 


Colour & Dyelot: The specific dyes and batch used to create the colour of the yarn.

As you can tell by looking at my works, colour is a huge factor. In fact, if a specific brand doesn't have a pretty, bright yellow, or a vibrant orange, I often veto them completely. (orange and yellow are two of the hardest to find!) So yes, I am super picky and a tiny bit OCD. 


Here's where you'll find the colour and dyelot number on your yarn:

This is Stylecraft Special DK
Shade 1241 'Fondant'
Dyelot: 75086
Basically, there is a name/number for the colour/shade, and a number for the dyelot (that means the batch that was dyed together!). dyelots of the same colour can sometimes vary, so if you plan on finishing a project with a lot of one colour, make sure you have enough in the same dyelot or you may have a subtle colour difference through part of your work!

See my previous post on the joy of choosing perfect colours, but once you have found the yarn you like, you CAN mix and match brands. This would involve you finding the colours you like in EXACTLY the same fibres and weights. If you mix & match weights you are likely to end up with a wonky blanket, as I found in my first few years of crocheting! Even if brands say the same weight/fibre on their packaging, sometimes they have subtle discrepancies; it is up to you whether this matters to you or not! I personally don't mind as long as it looks cohesive in the end!

 So don't forget the big three: Fibre, Weight & Colour!


Happy Hooking Sweet Peas!


Rhonie








No comments:

Post a Comment